One pot chicken and rice recipe is one of those dishes for kids that they are sure to gobble up without a fuss. We can prepare this nutritious meal for our kids in an affordable and easy way. Whatever veggies we have on hand can be substituted, but it’s always a hearty, satisfying supper that we know will satisfy not only the little members but also our entire family! It’s the ideal weekday dinner for the whole family, and it comes together quickly and simply.
Reasons to Enjoy This One-Pot Meal
- Simple: Combine all the ingredients in a soup pot and let it simmer, stirring occasionally. Little effort, great return
- Comfortable: This creamy chicken and rice dish is comfort food at its best; it’s like a cross between creamy risotto and brothy soup without all the laborious stirring.
- Reasonable Price: This is an excellent way to serve a large family while utilizing a package of chicken breasts. If you are seeking more such inexpensive chicken and rice dishes you can explore more food blogs here.
- It Reheats Nicely: Although this recipe has a lot of food, leftovers are great for lunch or dinner the next day.
- Suitable for Families: Both young and old will love this simple chicken meal’s warm, cozy aromas!
Chicken and Rice Recipe: What’s in it?
Look through your pantry and refrigerator for the common items to prepare this simple one-pot meal. What you’ll need is as follows:
- Butter: To sauté the carrots and finish the dish with a hint of luxury. Feel free to substitute dairy-free vegan butter.
- Carrots: Cut baby carrots into pieces, peel and slice a few large carrots, or simply use shredded carrots for simplicity’s sake.
- Homemade Spiced Salt: My four-ingredient homemade seasoned salt adds tons of flavor to this recipe. The combination of salt, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder is straightforward yet immensely
- White Rice with Long Grains: This is a very adaptable recipe. However, I urge you to use long-grain white rice, such as basmati or jasmine, instead of instant or low-quality rice, which can get mushy.
- Minced Dried Garlic and Onion: To make this dish easier, we will be using the dried versions!
- Flakes of Parsley: Do you recall the chicken noodle soup mix in a box with a flavor ball shaped like a golden egg?
- Stock of Chickens: We suggest using homemade chicken stock instead of chicken broth for this recipe because it requires so few ingredients! This is my homemade chicken stock recipe for the instant pot.
- Chicken: Diced boneless, skinless chicken breasts are added to the boiling broth about halfway through cooking. There is no need to add further sautéing stage.
How to Cook Rice and Chicken in One Pot?
- Add sliced or shredded carrots to the melted butter in a soup pot over medium heat and season with homemade seasoned salt and pepper. After covering the pan, simmer the carrots for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often or until they become soft. Depending on what you have on hand, you can use a stock pot, a Dutch oven, or a large soup pot.
- Stir in the butter and sauté the white long-grain rice for a minute, until it is coated. The dried minced onion and garlic should be added at this point. Once more, use the best rice you can afford; otherwise, the dish may become overly soft.
- Add the chicken broth and dried parsley to the saucepan to prevent the rice from sticking to the bottom of the pot. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring for 15 minutes.
- Chop the chicken breasts into bite-sized pieces and season with salt and pepper. Add the chicken to the soup pot and boil for an additional 7 to 10 minutes, or until the rice is al dente and the chicken is cooked through.
- After turning off the heat, cover the pot and leave it alone for five minutes. Lastly, add extra butter and whisk. Add more seasoned salt and pepper to taste after that.
- We like to let the pot remain uncovered for 10 minutes before scooping it into bowls and serving since the dish will thicken as it cools. And the flavor is much better when the chicken and rice are warm rather than scorching.
What Goes Well with Chicken and Rice?
We adore this chicken and rice recipe because it can be prepared in a single pot and contains all the components of a perfect Midwestern dinner: vegetables, starch, and protein. There is no need for additional side dishes.
Preservation and Heating
Refrigerate any leftover chicken and rice after scooping it into an airtight or individual storage container. This dish is not recommended for freezing. Even perfectly cooked rice might turn mushy when frozen and reheated from the freezer.
You must reheat food in portion sizes that suit you. Remove the cold rice and chicken from the refrigerator, place them in a bowl, and microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring in between, until thoroughly warmed.
This soothing dish, One Pot Chicken and Rice, combines elements of soup and risotto. This simple yet delicious gluten-free dinner recipe will become a family favorite. We hope you like this one pot chicken and rice recipe as much as we do, whether you prepare it exactly as stated or in your unique way! We create it with basic cupboard ingredients and whatever veggies we have on hand.